CESSNA 140 PROJECT PIX


PROJECT: CESSNA 140 REBUILD
LEAD BUILDER: BRYAN COTTON
PROJECT STATUS:

Here IS A trial fit of the Cee Bailey windshield. The retainer strip on the bottom is just clecoed in at this point, and the masking tape going across the windshield to the doorpost is holding it in tight to the channel. The tape on the windshield parallel to the sheetmetal shows where the windshield sticks out, so we can put the self-adhesive felt on the parts in the window pocket. Felt goes on the sides and top.

Here is the self-adhesive felt and the tacky stuff that kind of glues in the windshield at the bottom. With the felt on, it was hard to jam the windshield into the top and side pockets. We used some .010 flashing on both sides as a shoehorn to get it in. That made it pretty easy.

After the felt, the black adhesive stuff is put on the inner retaining strip, which is down at the bottom of the windshield. Then the windshield is put in for the last time and squished down into the sealer. Then sealer is put on the outer retaining strip and that is squished down plus clecoed back in place to be ready to rivet.

Here is the windshield all riveted in. With no avionics or controls in place it was easy to buck those rivets. For any aircraft owners out there, if you ever need to replace your windows go with Cee Bailey. No trimming. It was awesome. The shipping was steep but I have no regrets.

We were getting ready to put the rudder pedals in. As Matt cleaned up the gunk (the black stuff) we found some gouges from the bearing blocks. Also, found the bearing blocks were really worn and needed to be replaced. Here is an overview of the parts for the pedals. These are the torque tubes, the pedals themselves are still on the shelf. I welded the gouges up. After I welded them, the tube was no longer straight so I had to weld the other side too. Then I had to polish the welds down as this spot rides in bearings. It came out really good. The old bearings were mag, the new ones on order from Cessna are plastic.

I alumiprepped and alodined the tanks. Then I pro-sealed all the welded seams. This picture just shows the patches pro-sealed up, but I also did the major seam around the perimeter. I have one tank installed. Initially the tank rode a little high in the front, where the patches made the tank a little taller. I thinned out the felt on those corners and it was good. I donít have the picture, but this tank now has its mounting straps honked down. There are a couple of angles that cut across the inboard rib to either spar, for drag/anti-drag loads in the fuel tank bay. Those are painted up and ready to install.


It has not been all building. Boy will I miss it here.